Vice President - QA/Testing - Financial Services
(from July 2006
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Team Manager for QA/Testing and Acceptance, QA Automation, Release and Environment Management, Client Onboarding of Mizuho’s FIX routing systems for Equities, Derivatives covering DMA, DSA, Worked Order flow types for various Asian markets (Primarily Japanese Markets)
• Doing performance reviews and interviewing potential candidates for the team. Keeping right mix of Mizuho Employees and external IT Vendors. Maintaining headcount of the team with in IT’s budget and expenditure. Involved with selection of prospective IT Vendors for the team. Initiated Offshoring of resources to India which helped to reduce the expenditure on QA resources by 50 Million JPY per year
• Managing expectations of business stakeholders and meeting deadlines of testing and release phases of various projects. Negotiating deadlines with various key stakeholders in case of change in project scope and often doing decision making on priorities of issues. Track record of team has been excellent meeting deadlines of 9 out of every 10 projects.
• Testing, acceptance and deployment lead for many complicated projects out of which key were – Migration of buy side FIX clients from Legacy to new FIX/Order routing systems, TSE/OSE futures evening session ,Mizuho-Shinko Merger, OSE-Jasdaq Merger, TSE Arrowhead go-live, Pan Asian FIX Order routing (ULLINK Platform Deployment), Jasdaq-Hercules Merger, Arrowhead IOC, OSE-OMX , HKEX Trading hours change, SG(Hutchison Port) IPO Capacity Test, HK (PCCW) IPO capacity test, HKEX AMS 3.8 Upgrade, Tdex+ upgrade, OSE-OMX upgrade, HK Fidessa FIX rollout for ex-Japan and Japan markets, Migration of Buy Side FIX Clients from Legacy HKOMS to HK Fidessa, Fidessa OMS H/W Upgrade/JMIS Upgrade/TOP Upgrade Regression Testing, TSE Small Tick Size, Go-live of new Quattro/Blast platform for migrations of Futures/Options/Equities Discretionary flow from ULLINK platform, Migration of ex-Japan markets flow from HK Fidessa to ATP.
• Suggested many ways, ideas to cut the costs, spending for the company in areas of Testing/QA and Client/Vendor onboarding. Conceptualized tools and ways to automate cost and time-intensive tasks thereby reducing costs by 40%.
• Designed new work flows for UAT and Client requirements gathering process via Requirement Traceability Matrix/JIRA workflow to ease the rollout in to prod env, reducing project delivery cycles, enhancing User’s UAT experience , avoiding missed requirements and misunderstandings about the same
• Championed the various automation initiatives in releases and testing areas saving about 120 Million JPY on IT resource cost for Mizuho’s Front office IT department.
QA/Testing and Acceptance
• Estimation of SIT/RT times for upcoming FIX Projects/System enhancements and creation of Test plans for upcoming releases. Keeping repository of test results of all the historical releases/builds.
• Designed several Test case templates and Test plan templates for various projects
• Designing and documenting Test cases from the User and System requirements in the requirements gathering phase and helping development team develop according to the expected behavior of the test cases.
• Timely completion of SIT/RT with cumulative builds in UAT/QA env for every Production releases in the FIX Systems. This SIT/RT consists of testing new functions/enhancements and testing existing flows, failover testing, capacity testing, latency testing, rollback/rollforward testing, cron jobs testing, GUI testing, Production replays. Raising Issues to development teams and tracking them through JIRA work-flow. Track Record of the team has been excellent in delivering the quality software in production, with minimal bugs found after prod go-live.
• Simulation of Production issues in to test env and proposing quick-work arounds of production problems to users.
• Responsible for UAT support for Client Service Desk before every Prod release and work extensively with them to get the sign- off for the actual release
• Coordinating releases/testing cycles on regional level by leading and attending teleconference calls and providing up to date and clear report to Local and Regional Business – Product and Client Service Desk.
• Arranging and providing live demonstrations to the users for the changes going in to major software releases. These demonstrations were done by executing some of the complicated test scenarios before senior trading floor users.These demonstrations helped in the reduction of user queries after post-release periods.
• Continuous automation of the manual test cases through Marathon(In-house developed tool). These cases could run overnight by themselves independent of external systems covering all the Asian markets. Achieved the target of automating 90% of the cases thereby reducing RT time by 60%.
• Conceptualized, designed, developed an in house Speed FIX Testing system called Sprint which could run several test cases overnight front to back from FIX end to OMS end without human intervention and collect test results in a report format. Sprint reduced the RT time of 10 Man days to 2 Man days.
• Implemented and Integrated Selenium web driver to test GUI Screens for FIX systems. Automated several complicated Chrome based cases in to Selenium which could run automatically over the night
• Automated specialized tests like latency, capacity, rollback, failover so that they could run overnight without human intervention
• Design and development of FIX Testing Dashboard – One stop place for tracking and monitoring of different variety of real time complicated test results in a single webpage which acted as decision support systems for IT management and users for approving Software builds in production environment.
• All the above Automation initiatives/projects improved the efficiency of QA team and they could now solve more defect tickets in the same stipulated time raising quality of the software
Release and Environment Management
• Setting up multiple Test/QA env on various virtual UNIX/Linux hosts enabling each tester to test independently in his/her env. Setting up prod env before first go-live of FIX systems by strictly following Change management guidelines.
• Release management on multiple Test env for 2 FIX systems. Deciding on which packages goes on which dates and which env by close co-ordination with development team
• Responsible for Releases and roll-out in prod env on the weekends/weekdays(in case of emergencies) followed by thorough testing against live exchange or simulators. Completion of all formal guidelines like raising remedy, release plans, approvals from change management for every prod releases
• Created a realtime online web-page to monitor processes, release versions of various components, connectivity details of downstream systems, disk usages providing a bird’s eye view of all the env to whole team and different inter-related teams.
Client Onboarding/Certification Testing – FIX/OMS Vendor Management
• Building relationships with FIX IT Teams of different FIX Vendors, Buy-Side Firms and sub-brokers. Keeping up to date repository of the behavior of their OMS/FIX Systems
• Creating and maintaining Rules of Engagement for Mizuho’s FIX Specs, FIX ATDL and explaining the same to external Buy side client by often visiting them personally and to FIX vendors by often inviting them to come to Mizuho
• Certifying/onboarding new Clients/FIX Vendors on DMA(Direct market Access) for Equities Cash and Futures/Options and on Disc/Care/Desk/Agency, List, Basket/Program, Algo Orders Flow for Equities Cash and on Indications Of Interests Flow over various Japan Markets like Arrowhead(TSE,Nagoya, Sapporo, Fukuoka) , OSE (OSE, Hercules.Jasdaq) and Pan Asia Markets like HK , SG, AU, KR and TW. Doing New Client Adoption/Certification on existing FIX Vendor platforms. Lead many New Client Adoptions / Certification / Implementation projects
• Doing Negotiations with FIX Vendors on Contracts, Pricing Structure, Legal bindings and finally completing the deal from signing of contracts, understanding the requirements , giving optimum FIX based solutions based on Buy Side requirements to making the FIX Session Certified and Live
• Conceptualized , Developed a system called FIMS (FIX Invoice Management System) which can
o Regularly alert Inactive FIX Clients so that actions can be taken to reduce the Connectivity Costs
o Track monthly Invoices from all FIX/OMS/EMS Vendors which can help to avoid overbilling, seek opportunities for cheaper FIX Connectivity options. This drive helped Mizuho with MOM savings of about 500,000 JPY on FIX Invoices over a span of 6 months only
• Migrations of Clients from Legacy Systems to New FIX Systems(Appia) and then from Appia to new ULLINK platform prior to recertification on new FIX Systems for different FIX Vendor/OMS/EMS platforms