Roles & Responsibilities:
As a Longtrail Farms Operator, your overall responsibility will be to operate machinery and undertake
general farm duties in accordance with farm activities across both broadacre and horticultural operations.
- Driving and operating of farm machines including tractors, trucks and harvesters which may beover the course of the week including weekends and public holidays, in accordance with business
- Operating designated towed machines, such as self-propelled seed drilling equipment or manure spreaders, to plant, fertilize, dust, and spray crops across all seasons.
- Prepare harvesting machines by adjusting speeds of cutters, blowers, and conveyors and height of
cutting head or depth of digging blades according to type, height, weight, and condition of crop being harvested, and contour of terrain.
- Cleaning and storing all machinery in a timely manner following the completion of seasonal operations.
- Refuels engines, lubricates machine parts, and monitors machine operations to ensure optimum performance and notify relevant stakeholders if more sophisticated repairs if required.
- Mix specified chemical materials and dump solutions, powders, or seeds into planter or sprayer
machinery in accordance with safety operating procedures.
- Undertake ground preparation, planting, harvesting of potatoes, broadacre cropping operations and livestock handling to ensure all farm operations have appropriate back-up and coverage
across the team.
- Undertake livestock handling including feeding, watering and movement of stock on farm.
- Contribute to staff and safety meetings including toolbox meetings and raise any safety issues in a timely manner.
- As required conduct fencing operations.
- Any other duties as reasonably requested by management from time to time.
Other Key Responsibilities:
• Efficiency: For the business to function as efficiently and safely as possible you must coordinate
and work with all farm staff to maximise the use and time of the resources and machinery. This
o Working diligently and with purpose;
o Appropriately directing junior members of staff to increase productivity; and
o Working unsupervised when required.
• Communication: To maintain open communication with all staff and participate in a weekly planning session with the Irrigation Manager.
• Record keeping: Maintain accurate and timely recording of all activities in your area of the business.
• Safety: The business aims to drive a safety-first culture and ensure that all staff and contractors are adhering to the policies and safe operating procedures set by the business. It is a requirement of all staff to set the standard and drive this culture which includes using SafeAg Systems.
• Presentation: Improve the presentation of the overall business. Individually everyone needs to ensure their vehicle, machinery, equipment and yard, at a minimum, are neatly presented. Ideally, all staff can be anywhere around the farm or business and feel a sense of pride for their workplace.
Skills and Experience:
• Previous experience using harvesting equipment and large machinery (experience using a Dewulf
potato harvester desirable)
• Can conduct general maintenance using problem-solving skills
• Strong communication skills with a team-oriented approach
• Previous exposure to machinery systems including GPS Software
• HC/MC license, Forklift license, Telehandler license and First Aid certificate is an advantage but not essential.
• Mechanical aptitude and practically minded
• A diligent approach to work which includes a can-do attitude
• Ability to concentrate for long periods of time, in particular during harvest which can involve work
through the night
• Strong hygiene standards
• Flexibility and adaptability to remain positive if given changing priorities
• Natural technology and systems aptitude
To apply online, please click on the appropriate link. Please note only
short-listed candidates will be contacted; we are unable to provide individual
You must have valid working rights within Australia to be considered for this
Labour Solutions Australia is proud to be granted our Labour Hire License in
Queensland & South Australia.
to view more jobs.